Parents must present proof of up to date immunizations before enrolling their child in school. All children entering school will need the following immunizations.
- Polio - 3 doses the last one after the child's fourth birthday or 4 doses at any age
- DPT - 4 doses the last one after the child's fourth birthday or 5 doses at (diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus) any age Tetanus boosters are then recommended every 10 years.
- MMR - 2 doses both after the child's first birthday (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
- Hepatitis B - 3 doses 2 doses if the 2-dose formulation was used and is indicated as such on the immunization record
- Varicella - 1 dose the doctor's written confirmation that the child has had chickenpox is also acceptable. Required for Kindergarten.
Students entering the seventh grade are required to have the Hepatitis B series. Because Hepatitis B shots must be spaced several months apart, it is important to have your sixth grader visit his health practitioner now to start the Hepatitis B series and to get the second measles shot. Also ask about an additional Tetanus shot and other preventive services that are recommended for your preteen. Students who have not started their Hepatitis B shots before the first day of seventh grade will be excluded from school. Please remember to bring the immunization record to the school office so that your child's record may be updated.
If you are unable to obtain immunizations for your child through your health practitioner due to excessive cost or lack of insurance coverage, you may obtain shots at no cost at the Kern County Department of Health. They are located at 1800 Mt. Vernon (868-0503) and immunizations are given daily on a walk-in basis. School immunization clinics are offered to sixth and seventh grade students at the Middle School at no cost. Forms are available in the Middle School office. Students who are entering kindergarten or seventh grade, who are not up to date on their immunizations will be excluded from school as required by state law. Please contact the school nurse, Mrs. Pierce, at 392-2110 or your child's school if you have any questions.
Remember, "Be Wise- Immunize"